Sunday, April 13, 2008

Bobblehead Stuck Between Low Blood Glucose and Basilar Type Migraines

Tennis Player 1.jpg

Hypoglycemia Serves, and BAM Down Goes Bobblehead!

The Proglycem does not appear to be working...

I am stuck in a bad cause and effect loop that I am having a hard time getting out of. My fasting blood glucose levels are ok (low 70s), sometimes a tad low. I have a dose of Proglycem suspension (an insulin suppressor) to try to keep my glucose levels up after I eat. Does not work. After a morning smoothie (whey protein powder, fresh fruit, Splenda, a little milk, fiber, bee pollen) my glucose drop to the 50s. Later in the morning I often will have more to eat (eggs, toast, etc.) No luck. my sugar is gone.

I often can deal with the low blood sugar. Yes, I am jittery and moody but I can eat or drink juice, honey, glucose tablets, etc., to get my sugar back up.

However, I am clearly aware low glucose is a trigger for my basilar type migraines (I also like the name basilar artery migraines. While this name is no longer used much, the acronym BAM is quite appropriate!). And that can wipe me out for much of the day.

Oh, credit where it is due. Teri Robert's site has a great article on basilar type migraines. I would read it aloud to you but my speech is often too slurred to make it out.

Like Monday. I fell to my knees while getting out of my office chair. And then a bit later I collapsed while speaking to several colleagues. While I agree that event was more entertaining than what normally happens at the office, my colleagues were not too happy! I got propped back in my chair. I was handed a juice box in one hand and a container of peanut butter in the other. All I needed was a stuffy and a blanky and I was ready for a nap!

The day was spent with sunglasses on and a fog in my head, and a buzzing in my ears.

This pattern of hypoglycemia and migraine is almost daily. The neurologist who dismissed my migraines earlier on did so stating that my pattern of migraines is too regular and almost daily. "Migraines do not do that."

However, I have two built in triggers. My ear (with the vertigo) can and does trigger attacks. They seem more manageable. But the trigger of low blood sugar is a problem. My glucose drops almost daily to low levels (mid to low 50s). The drug I am taking does not seem to be slowing that down. Unless I stop eating completely, my never-ending game of tennis has me worried...

[posted by Bobblehead]

0 comments: